Thursday, October 11, 2012

Loved ones...

I know it's been a while, I've been busy.  But recently I've discovered exactly what "Loved Ones" means.  Now I know what you're thinking. You're thinking, brother, sister, mom, dad, aunt, uncle, grandparents, etc. However, our dogs are also our Loved Ones.

My lovely dog Mulder is 11 years old. She is my first baby and my only girl.  When she dies I will be the only girl in a family full of boys.  She has some medical issues and it seems she is deteriorating fast.  She has spondilosis of the spine and degenerative nerve disorder of the spine.  She is having trouble walking. Trouble standing. Trouble being a dog.

Tonight we went and bought her a wheelchair.  We are going to put it on her tomorrow and see how she does with it.  This is going to change her life and her routines and it's going to change our lives and how we treat her.  I'm not sure yet how, but I know it.

Now we bought this wheelchair used and cheap compared to its new price. Don't get me wrong.  I would have paid twice it's value if I knew for sure it would work for her.  I just don't know yet. Only time will tell. It's like when the vet told me she could have this degenerative nerve disorder.  The only way to know for sure is by a very expensive test (thousands of dollars).  Sure I'd pay it, but would it make a difference for her? The answer was a resounding NO! If she has it (and I'm sure she does) there is nothing they could do for her knowing or not.  So why on earth would I pay that money. If I knew there was a surgery out there that would fix her and give her a longer life, I'd do it despite the cost.

That's what we do for our Loved Ones.  We love them and do anything for them. My dog, my Mulder-Roo is one of the most important people in my lives.  She's kept me sane. She's comforted me when I was sad. She's comforted my children when they were sick. I remember when we brought her home. I remember staying up worried about her because I thought she had a fever and she was just a puppy sleeping and being warm. I remember my fun loving, gregarious puppy and now I have my old and loving dog who would still do anything for me.

Now I recognize that dogs are not our kids. I know that dogs are not people and there are only certain extents we can go to for them. But I would do anything for my baby girl. Just like I would do anything for my baby boys. I just hope that I can help her feel better with this wheelchair and her meds.

Because that's what we do for Loved Ones.  Anything we can. Be it man or beast we love.

No comments:

Post a Comment