Friday, December 7, 2012

The Season of Giving

I have recently been confronted by my brother about the amount of "stuff" we give each other.  And by each other he means all of us (mom, dad, hubby, K, C, bro, his fiance, etc.).  He thinks that we should donate the money we would spend on "stuff".  That instead of buying for ourselves we should give the money to a good cause like Susan G. Komen or Dive For a Cure or even our local humane society or animal shelter.  I think these are all great ideas. In fact we donate to CASA every year and I'm more then happy to do that.

And while I understand his point, do we really need more stuff? I have a different point...

I don't CARE!  I love Christmas. I love giving gifts to my family. I love looking for the perfect gifts for my husband and kids. The perfect gifts for my parents and brother. I LOVE it.  I like to go shopping looking for the perfect gifts that I know they will love.  It has nothing to do with reciprocation. It has to with my joy at going out and doing that. The hunt for the perfect gifts. I also will not deprive my children of a joyful holiday.

And please note I did say gifts.  I don't give just one. I can't. This time of year is about me being able to spread joy and happiness to those around me. I find things for people and I only get to do this once a year.  I'm going to enjoy it.

Of course, as I type this I realize I may sound superficial. I mean after all who needs all those "things". But I donate old things that I don't use or wear to St. Vincent de Paul.  I have a rule in my house. If I get a new t-shirt, an old one gets put in the PJ drawer and one of those goes to the donation pile. I try and do the same with the boys toys.

I am going to start something new this year. I'm going to take the boys and buy gifts from the Giving Tree. I want them to experience buying gifts for others. Knowing that by giving these gifts they are giving someone who's in need and may not get a gift otherwise.  I'm excited for this new tradition to start in our family.

I guess my point is this.  Now while I understand and support his point, it's not for me.  I will still donate money to any number of charities, but I will not stop buying presents for my family. The Christmas season is about giving and that's exactly what I love about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment